FAQs Tenants

FAQs regarding Accommodation

  • How do I apply for place in a student residence?

    You can apply free of charge and without obligation at any time via our homepage (see online application). For first-year students, it is possible to apply without a letter of admission or a certificate of enrolment.
    Submitting an application for a maximum of three residences does not create any obligation but does not automatically entitle the applicant to a place in a student residence either.

    Your personal data will be digitally stored and processed. It will be used for this purpose only and will not be passed on to third parties.

  • Can I view my room before signing a lease agreement/ before moving in?

    Since the rooms are usually rented until the last day before the new tenant moves in, a viewing is unfortunately not possible. However, you can visit the residences on your own initiative; maybe your previous tenant does not mind a short visit.


  • How long do I have to wait for a place in a residential complex?

    The waiting times for the individual housing complexes vary. The waiting time depends on demand, the number of notices received from current tenants and the acceptances and rejections of applicants.
    If available, you will receive a maximum of three housing offers. If these offers are not accepted, the application will be forfeited. However, it is possible to reapply, whereby the waiting period of a previous application is not counted.

  • How long can I live in a student residence run by Studierendenwerk Münster?

    The total rental period is eight semesters. On request, the lease agreement can be extended.

  • Do I have to pay a deposit?

    A deposit must be transferred to the account of the Studierendenwerk Münster (see rental agreement) no later than one week before the start of the tenancy.
    The amount of the deposit depends on the rent and on the student residence and varies between € 250.00 and € 500.00.

    One exception is the residence “Bismarckallee 47 b – d” where the deposit is 1.5 times the basic rent (without utilities). No interest is paid on the deposit, in accordance with § 551, section 3 BGB!

  • Can I terminate the tenancy?

    The lease can be terminated by the tenant at the latest by the third working day of the month, effective for the end of the third month following. (§ 573 c German Civil Code).

    Shared apartments are an exception:
    The moving out of a tenant before the expiry of the contract is only permitted with the consent of the landlord. Consent will only be granted if the remaining tenants name another student who is accepted by the landlord and by the Studierendenwerk, and who has agreed in writing to enter the tenancy.
    For reasons of clarity, a new rental agreement must be concluded with the Studierendenwerk Münster from that moment. The submission of an informal written notice of termination is absolutely necessary. Cancellation by e-mail is not possible.

    You will find further information on deadlines and form of termination of the tenancy in your lease. If you have any detailed questions, please contact the person in charge of your residence.

  • Am I insured as a tenant in your residences?

    The Studierendenwerk Münster is not liable for any damage to the property of the residents, even if it is caused by damage to the building, such as a burst water pipe.
    We therefore recommend you take out a private household insurance.
    Household contents insurance replaces your belongings in the event of damage caused by, for example:

    • Burglary and vandalism
    • fire, lightning and explosion
    • tap water
    • storm and hail


    Since the risk of bicycle theft is also increasing, bicycles are usually no longer covered by a household contents insurance policy. However, this can be insured as an additional benefit with most insurance companies. Otherwise, you can get a bicycle insurance.
    We recommend registering your bicycle in the police register of bicycle owners.

    Private liability insurance is a must have because it is the only insurance that covers for damage you cause to third parties. It covers the costs of personal injury, property damage and financial losses in the private sphere up to the agreed sum insured. Those who live with their parents are usually still insured with them. All others must make sure that they do not end up paying themselves in the event of liability. We recommend that you check your insurance cover and, alternatively, take out private liability insurance!
    Private liability insurance protects you in many areas of life, for example:

    • On the street when cycling or as a pedestrian when shopping
    • At home, either as a tenant or as the owner of living space that you use yourself
    • In family, sports and leisure, even on holiday and worldwide


    When studying for the first time, students are co-insured through their parents. If you were employed before your studies and have completed a degree, you must insure yourself in any case. Please inform yourself. You will soon find calculation examples on our website.

  • Out-of-court dispute settlement

    We are neither willing nor obliged to participate in dispute resolution proceedings before a consumer arbitration board in accordance with the German Consumer Dispute Resolution Act (VSBG).